The Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee, founded in 1975, covers the 18 most northwestern counties of the State of Florida. Although our diocese is young, its roots go back to the first settlement of this region by Europeans, when in 1559 Don Tristan de Luna, on behalf of the Spanish crown, established the first settlement in what was to become the United States of America. The settlement was abandoned in 1561 due to hurricanes that destroyed the settlers supplies.
Our diocese enjoys the distinction of being a "dual see" diocese -- that is, it has two centers from which the Bishop governs: Pensacola and Tallahassee. Each see city has a cathedral - the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Pensacola and the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Tallahassee.