The Association of Florida Colleges was founded in 1949 as the Florida Association of Public Junior Colleges by the presidents of Florida's first four public junior colleges. Its mission was to unite the colleges for the purposes of helping the Florida Legislature understand the junior college mission and to advocate for Florida's public junior colleges in the development of the state's long-range plan for higher education.
Since 1949, the Association's mission and purposes have grown in scope as has the Association itself. In 1971, the Association became the Florida Association of Community Colleges. The Association changed its name to the Association of Florida Colleges in 2010 to reflect the growth in many colleges to include baccalaureate degree programs and institutional name changes.
It has become the most inclusive higher education organization serving any college system in the nation. The AFC is the only organization which represents all employees, presidents, and trustees associated with a college system. Today, all 28 of the state's colleges support the work of the Association through institutional dues as do nearly 7,500 regular and retired members through the sharing of their talents, time and energy.
The Communications and Marketing Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, conceptualizing, and producing all Association member and Foundation communications and marketing activities, publications design and production, advertising, and the web site. The position is responsible for enhancing the Association brand recognition within the Florida College System. This position is also responsible for managing the Association’s website and content, assisting with the Association Management System database, design and production of printed materials, social media, and marketing for all association events. The Communications and Marketing Coordinator also serves as the liaison with the public relations/media contractor and college public information officers as needed. The incumbent provides general staff assistance to the CEO and senior staff on marketing and communication tasks, and is also responsible for assisting with planning and coordinating several statewide events each year. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
Duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with senior staff to formulate the strategy for all marketing and communications to consistently articulate the Association and Foundation missions, programs, and services.
- Manage the strategic development and maintenance of Association website including content management.
- Manage the Association’s social media presence on all available services.
- Coordinate and use desktop publishing skills for all aspects of the design and production of Association and Foundation publications, periodicals, event brochures and programs, infographics announcements, newsletters, and other and other documents and promotional materials.
- Assist the Associate Executive Director with administration of the Certified College Professional program.
- Create and manage marketing for education events.
- Manage sales and marketing to event sponsors and exhibitors.
- Collaboratively develop, write, edit and distribute Association news and other external documents as requested.
- Stay informed about current and future Association programs and events to answer questions and dispense general information to members.
- Develop marketing resources and material to promote Association membership to Florida College System institutions.
- Develop marketing resources and material to promote short- and long-term priorities for Association Foundation fundraising.
- Coordinate with contracted graphic designer, and website provider as needed.
- Provide liaison as needed with Association’s contract public relations/media consultant.
- Serve as Association liaison to College Public Information Officers.
- Coordinate multi-media productions and the Association’s portable display for promotional use at statewide conferences and meetings.
- Serve as in-house web content manager for all Association websites.
- Prepare reports and correspondence for the CEO’s and senior staff signature.
- Assist with all Association events as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This description covers the most significant, essential and auxiliary duties performed by the position, but does not include other work, which may be similar, related to, or a logical assignment for the position.