About Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce:
Since 1773 the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce has worked to protect and strengthen the region’s business community helping businesses grow and thrive. As the metro area’s advancement and advocacy organization, the Chamber’s role is integral to the region’s assets and progress in Talent Development, Economic Prosperity, Small Business Development, Global Commerce and Legislative Advocacy. Charleston Metro Chamber members hail from Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties, and through their Chamber membership have access to a powerful variety of tools, resources, products, services and access to thousands of Chamber members. With a 244-year legacy and proven results in regional advancement, the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce is driving the metro area’s global competitiveness. Join a team of leaders who are positively shaping the region for today’s and tomorrow’s prosperity.
The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce (CMCC) is seeking a full-time Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to lead the organization in data-driven insights that strategically achieve the CMCC’s goals, design the right strategies and processes that carry out the vision in a multichannel world, and is the organizational glue that delivers change. This position will be required to use digitally-enabled tools and processes, differentiate the Member experience and build tighter Member relationships, and connect Marketing with the entire organization. This individual is analytical and creative, and utilizes their extensive knowledge in a variety of disciplines such as production, information technology, legal, and finance to cohesively partner with other departments in achieving the CMCC’s goals. While a member of the Executive Team and reporting to the President & CEO, the CMO also leads the Marketing team within the Operations Group of the CMCC.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the CMO is responsible for:
1. Discover data-driven insights that drive growth. The CMO is to develop clear, meaningful insights into the market and the Member decision journey.
- Partner with the Chamber’s Center for Business Research in identifying, expanding, and measuring analytics around the Member experience
- Partner in developing organizational capability to act on the analytical data to drive membership engagement
- Create a Marketing Return on Investment (MROI)
- Translate Member data to meaningful insights for senior leadership
2. Design the right strategies and processes to carry out the vision in a multichannel world
- Implement a well-designed process of Member interaction based on a clear understanding of the Member’s needs and the capabilities of the staff
- Utilize Profit & Loss Statement knowledge to partner with other departments in driving revenue
- Design and run the Marketing department as a Center of Excellence, inclusive of digital activity, to advise and support the other Chamber departments in serving the right information to the right person at the right place and time.
3. Become the organizational “glue” to deliver change
- Partner with the Senior Staff, beginning with the President and CEO and the COO (who oversees HR), to drive internal change with all Chamber staff
- Motivate all staff and command the pace of change
- Partner with Chamber leadership to provide a consistent member journey across all touchpoints of an organization
- Utilize a “conversation” approach to member engagement, not a “tell” approach
- Be the Integrator of the Core Values for all staff
- Be the Attractor whom others will join in following the vision and the aspirations set out
Additional Duties that support the above responsibilities:
- Create and refine an annual Marketing plan, progression of the plan, and lead the Marketing team in executing the plan to completion.
- Develop and implement a digital communications strategy via mobile platforms, video and social media.
- Work collaboratively with co-Executive Team members on the devising, coordinating and communicating of the strategic priorities for each of their divisions/areas.
- Provide strategic direction, set the tone, and lead the communications, marketing and visibility of Chamber initiatives and major swim lanes.
- Work with Membership Team management on membership research and trends in order to engage the membership at the highest level.
- Utilize a multi-channel approach in all Chamber brand development, visibility, engagement and interest in Chamber initiatives, programs and communications (regionally and nationally).
- Enhance collaborative relationship development with other organizations and Chambers (regionally, nationally) to learn best practices and ROI in marketing and communications activities.
- Guide and mentor the marketing team through leadership and ongoing development of the Marketing team members.
- Serve as Chamber spokesperson along with the President & CEO, and key members of the Chamber’s Executive Team and volunteer executive leadership.
- Continually explore professional development and cutting edge marketing/communication approaches, and communicate those ideas to the Executive Team.
- Promote a professional image of the Chamber as the premier business organization in the region.
- Oversee the public relations for the Chamber and assess and manage all external media relationships - press conferences, media relations, press releases, questions from media.